Welcome to the Mackay Surf Lifesaving Club. Our club is part of the national Surf Lifesaving movement and is run by volunteer members for the benefit of our community. Whilst our primary focus is to provide a safe bathing environment at Mackay’s Harbour Beach, our club also offers a range of facilities, activities and programs for members and affiliated clubs.
There is no need to be a champion swimmer to receive benefits from joining Mackay Surf Lifesaving Club. Our programs and activities are aimed at a diverse range of ages, abilities and interests. We have a fantastic clubhouse right on the beach containing large changing rooms and showers, ski and board storage, patrol room, first aid room, canteen, a gym, office, air conditioned training room and BBQ area.
As a club member you can enjoy:
- Use of club surf equipment– to develop your water and surf skills
- Friends and fellowship – Mackay SLSC has a reputation for being one of the friendliest clubs in Queensland
- Surf sports and competition – Surf sports play a key role in improving lifesaving skills, fitness and motivation. Many of our members compete at club, branch, State and National carnivals.
- Training and Education – learn valuable lifetime skills through courses in aquatic rescue, first aid, patrol techniques and marine safety. We also offer training for coaches, officials, committee members, trainers and assessors, as well as opportunities to develop your skills in club management and administration.
The Mackay Surf Lifesaving Club offers a number of programs throughout the season. These include:
- Nippers– a program for 6-13 year olds designed to teach our junior members surf awareness and safety and skills in water and beach activities in a fun and healthy environment.
- Youth Involvement Program (YIPS)– a program designed to motivate, recognise and reward members in the 13-15 age group while providing opportunities for development of leadership skills, personal development and social interaction with peers.
- Awards and Proficiencies– a formal program of nationally recognised awards and qualifications that members can complete to advance their skills in lifesaving and aquatic rescue.
- Surf sports– our club offers coaching, training and skills development to members in all surf sports events for competition or for general fitness.
- Fundraising– Surf Lifesaving Clubs operate as not for profit organisations and hold a number of fundraising events throughout the year to engage the community and raise much needed funds.